What to Expect Upon Admission to the Shelter
If you are an adult (18 years or older) experiencing homelessness in the lower eastern Shore area (Wicomico, Somerset, Worcester, Dorchester counties in MD or lower Delaware) and you need a safe place to sleep and access to meals, showers and basic support services, your FIRST STEP is to contact the Christian Shelter either by phone 410-749-5673 or by coming to the shelter at 334 Barclay Street in Salisbury, MD.
What Happens at the Shelter?
You will meet with a staff member and complete an intake assessment. Based on the information gathered through the intake process, you may be assigned to a room or a dorm area of the shelter and given the opportunity to work for up to 30 days with staff and volunteers who can refer you to local service providers depending on your needs.
House Rules for Guests of the Shelter
- GENERAL & SAFETY: We are a Christian establishment and expect you to cooperate with staff, volunteers and other guests by practicing Christian principles. You may not have in your possession or carry any weapon. You must turn in same, as well as all non-emergency medications at check in. You may not use alcohol, drugs, violence or inappropriate language. You may be tested at any time for drug or alcohol use. Refusal to be tested can be grounds for dismissal. The Christian Shelter is a SMOKE FREE establishment. You may not smoke anywhere within the shelter, its buildings and premises. Cell phones, pagers, personal radios, CD players, other small electronic devices and portable TV’s are restricted within the shelter, its buildings and premises. These items will be turned into the office upon check-in and returned at check-out. Gambling or any type of card playing is strictly prohibited. The showing of videos, playing CD’s or other entertainment on shelter equipment shall require prior viewing and approval by a Board Member PRIOR to its viewing/use by guests or volunteers. This is a temporary, emergency shelter. Immediate plans are to be made to resolve your crisis. Within two weeks of your entrance into the shelter, you must have steady paid employment; give evidence of diligent, daily search for employment; or have a specific plan for obtaining stable housing. Those with jobs must inform us of their work schedules and if lunch is needed. Pets are prohibited at the shelter.
- MEAL TIME & CHORES: You are to arise when wakened, be washed, dressed and ready for breakfast by your assigned time. Beds will be made neatly, and your area kept as clean as possible. There are no excuses for guests to smell of body odors. Chores are an opportunity to help keep the shelter in “shipshape.” Your cooperation is expected. Your assigned chore must be completed before departing for the day. Meals are available as follows: 7:00AM breakfast, 5:00PM dinner. Bag lunches are available for verified workers, all children and pregnant women.
- USE OF TIME & MONIES: You are leave the shelter and premises by 8:30AM and not return until 4:00PM every day except Sunday. Spend this time to resolve your crisis. Ask for assistance if needed. We require you to save 80% of ALL MONIES you receive (while staying here) to help resolve your housing crisis. Money can be withdrawn from savings to meet emergency needs. The Business Manager collects and distributes all guest monies during the hours of 8:00AM to 11:00AM and 1:30PM to 3:00PM, Tuesday thru Thursday. He will return ALL your saved monies upon your request, when you check out of the shelter.
- DEVOTIONS: Are held every evening at 6:45PM and also Sundays at 10:00AM. Attendance at devotions is mandatory. Lateness and missing will not be tolerated. You may attend the Christian Church of your choice fopr Sunday morning worship, but that churches bulletin, for that morning, signed by the pastor, must be returned to this office as evidence of your attendance. Also, a guest desiring to attend a Christian Church meeting during a shelter devotions period MUST request permission of Shelter Administrative staff IN ADVANCE of attending any such meeting. The Special Event Escort Instruction shall apply in all such cases.
- CURFEW: Curfew for all guests who are not working a night shift is at 10:00PM. Exceptions to this curfew must be authorized by the shelter Administrator in writing. You need to be inside the shelter by 9:45PM. All areas are self-contained and alarmed. Doors are locked, and those who are not inside by curfew, unless working, will not be allowed in. Anyone not in by curfew will be automatically checked out and cannot be readmitted. Once you leave or are checked out for any reason, there is a (6) month waiting period before you can be re-admitted.
- AREAS OFF LIMITS: The Kitchen, Laundry Room and all other areas and buildings are OFF-LIMITS, except the Fellowship Room (Day Room) and your assigned sleeping area, unless you are assigned, directed or given permission by staff members. Unmarried men and women are not allowed in the Women’s/Family Room Wing. Married men are not allowed in the women’s dorm area or in any other than their own assigned Family Room. Young boys, as well as females, are never to be placed in the men’s dormitory. Tampering with the Fire Alarm System or Security System will result in your immediate dismissal. Your assigned area is for night-time sleeping only. Food and beverages brought in by guests or visitors are not allowed in the shelter and other buildings, except the kitchen.
- CLOTHING, LAUNDRY & ATTIRE: You are responsible for your own personal laundry. Laundry must be done off-premises; using monies from your 20% (spendable income). On Thursdays, before 8:30AM, please place all of your issued shelter towels, hand towels, washcloths, sheets and pillowcases in front of the laundry room door. Leave your blanket and pillow on your mattress. Clean items will be issued after 4:00PM Thursday. Hallways are visible to anyone, and are common areas for both men & women. Appropriate clothing/attire shall be worn at all times, by all guests, in all such common areas. Decency is expected.
- CHILDREN IN GUEST & FAMILY ROOMS: In all areas, children are to be under the control of, and supervised by their parent/s or legal guardians only. Young boys, over the age of three years, may not be placed in the women’s dormitory. Children are not to be left in the care of staff, or other guests at any time. Mothers must remain in the building if the children are asleep. The shelter will not be held responsible for any child left unattended by the parent/s in its buildings or on its premises. Visitors are welcome, but must be checked-in at the office first. Visitors are allowed to stay for only one hour and may come to (but not interrupt) devotions. Visitors are not allowed in the guest’s room, and our guest is responsible for the visitor’s behavior. Administrative staff may require guests to vacate a family Christian room without notice if a) the room is not being occupied by a family, or b) the room becomes unsafe for occupancy. Family room #1 is normally used to house a large family. Smaller families occupying this room may be required to move to a smaller room if needed.
A copy of these rules is available in each Dormitory and Family Room for your convenience and referral. You will be asked at check in read and then sign these rules and statements.
Get in Touch
334 Barclay Street
Salisbury, MD 21804
Hours of Operation
Open daily for intakes
8:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.